Santa Fe

Prehistoric/Pre-Roman

Romans

Muslims

Christian Conquest
In the 1491 they decided to put an end to the campaign and built large huts and trenches in the middle of the fertile plain.
The villa served as military camp to the Catholic Kings during the siege of the city.

Modern Age
Don Francisco de Bobadilla was named lord, following the villa a slowed history, immersed in the own agricultural tasks of a town from the Fertile plain.
Contemporary Age
in 1806 by a violent earthquake that caused a serious damages to it.

Name
Location
Origin
Typology
Style
Description
Instituto de América (Centro Damián Bayón)
Santa Fe
1992
Civil Architecture

Is a institution dependent of the City council of Santa Fe, financed jointly with the Council of Culture of the Board of Andalucia and the Delegation of Granada. It was founded on 1992 with the intention to study in depth the knowledge of the art and the American culture, as well as the diffusion of the same one in Andalucia. The headquarters of the Institute of America is the Damián Bayón Centre, building inaugurated in 1992, which consists in two exhibition halls, with 250 meters linear of wall surface, a library, destined to research centre and an auditorium where concerts, congresses and conferences are developed.
Ermita del Cristo de mi Salud

Santa Fe
Siglo XVIII
Religious Architecture

It was called hermitage of the Gallegos originally, thus denominated because it was built in 1498 by the numerous participants in the conquest of Granada who came from Galicia. After the restoration of the XVIII century, at the moment it is known as hermitage of the Cristo de la Salud, because cult to this image is receive in it, of great local devotion. It is located near the Gate of Granada.
City countil
Santa fe
1923
Civil Architecture
Neamudejar
In the Eastern flank of the seat of Spain it appears the City council, built in 1923 in neomudejar style, with facade of brick and emblems of tiling of the Hispano-American countries..

Chauchina

Prehistoric/Pre-Roman

Romans

Muslims
In the XIV century, Ibn al-Jatib, from Loja, already mentions the place, transcribed like Yayyana. There are more documents about a fortress of this district, the Tower of Rome, in which the population had to take refuge at the violent final moments of the Medieval period.

The settlement was consolidated.The Muslims occupied the area between the years 711 and 713 and dried great part of the humid areas next to the river. Chauchina was one of the many farmhouses, with between 500 and 1,000 inhabitants, of the Fertile plain of Granada.

Christian Conquest

Modern Age
After the Reconquest and the later expulsion of the Moorish the town was almost depopulated. In the XVIII century new neighbours arrived at the settlement to cultivate the linen and the hemp.
Contemporary Age
The present centre of its urban core was started to be built in the middle of the XIX century already, although it grew quickly thanks to the cultivation of the sugar beet.

Name
Location
Origin
Typology
Style
Description
Ermita de la Virgen del Espino
Chauchina
1918
Religious Architecture

The virgin of the Espino or “ del Pincho”, as it is known in the fertile plain of Granada, has been receiving the devotion of the neighbours of Chauchina for a century. Its image is guarded by the Clarisas Capuchinas nuns in this hermitage that takes its name. It is a modest temple, built in the place where according to a local tradition the virgin appeared to a villager in 1906. The first chapel was inaugurated in 1918.
La Peana
Chauchina

Civil Architescture

Next to the parochial church calls the attention “the Peana”, fragment of a column extracted of the quarries of Loja destined to the palace of Carlos V of the Alhambra.
Torre de Roma
Chauchina
Siglo XV
Military Architecture
Islamic
It is a Nasrid defensive bastion of the XV century and one the best conserved of the province. It is 538 metres tall. It is a monumental building of solid trunk-pyramidal construction of mud wall with three floors and a rain tank underneath the inferior floor. The materials used are hard mud walls, of ballast, soil and lime.

Fuente Vaqueros


Prehistoric/Pre-Roman

Romans

Muslims

Christian Conquest
It probably has an Arab origin; it lived the splendour of the Nasrid dynasty until the Christian conquest in 1492
Modern Age

Contemporary Age
This land was part of the Royal Site that the Crown reserved for itself after the conquest as hunting and recreational place, with dense forests where a Royal House was constructed, the Soto de Roma.

After several problems, in 1813 this property was giving in to the Duke of Wellington as compensation for his service during the war of Independence against the French. Between Romilla and the Genil River the watchtower called Tower of Rome, which always was considered landmark that marked the Southern limit of the Grove can still be contemplated.

Until 1940 the town of Fuente Vaqueros belonged to the Duke of Wellington, having its land rented to the settlers and little by little he sold it to them, who populated it and gave way to the present town.

Name
Location
Origin
Typology
Style
Description
Casa Real del Soto de Roma
Fuente Vaqueros

Civil Architecture

It is a building located little more than a kilometre from the town, in the direction of Valderrubio. It is palace made up of gardens and exotic trees. From there the Soto de Roma estate, old rural property of the Nasrids kings of Granada, was governed. Before its transfer to the Church of the Encarnacion, the Royal House also housed the parish of Fuente Vaqueros.
Monumento a Federico García Lorca
Fuente Vaqueros

Civil Architecture

The City council Square is the centre from which the main routes that form the structure of the town centre of Fuente Vaqueros radiate: the Andalucia avenue, to the east; the Genil avenue, that lowers until the river; and the Paseo del Prado, with the monument to Garcia Lorca carved by Cayetano Aníbal, that extends towards the north by the Paseo de la Reina.
Museo Casa Natal de Federico García Lorca
Fuente Vaqueros

Civil Architecture

It is located in the Paseo de la Reina, a place of forced peregrination for the traveller: the house of Federico Garcia Lorca, where the poet was born on the 5th of June of 1898. It has been restored with taste and success and turned into museum by the Delegation of Granada. Their rooms evoke the atmosphere of his youth in the decoration and furniture, while in the first floor, that was a granary, there is a cultural room for exhibitions and acts. It houses many written and graphical documents, and even belongings of the poet related to his life and work.


Íllora


Prehistoric/Pre-Roman

Romans
Plinio mentions it like Ilurco.
Muslims
to the X and XI century, when al-Udri talks about it with the name of Illywra when talking about to the province of Elvira.
from the XIII century became one of the main bastions of the Nasrids border, in first line after the fall of Alcala del Real in 1341.
Illywra reinforced in those times its appearance of fortified villa with castle, walled enclosure and neighbourhoods, deserving the nickname of "right eye of Granada" by its importance as defensive place.

Christian Conquest

Modern Age
In its new stage, Íllora was one of the Seven Villas that served as barn and pantry of the capital.
Contemporary Age


Name
Location
Origin
Typology
Style
Description
Museo Municipal
Íllora
1738
Civil Architecture
Neoclassic
The building that houses this museum dates from 1738 and it was constructed following the neoclassic style. It has two plants and its facade is divided in three parts. During its history it has served as district barn first, consistorial house later and at the present time it houses the Municipal Museum. In its interior it is possible to visit a permanent collection of rests of ceramics and utensils of the old Arab castle. In addition it has a temporary exhibition hall.
Church of La Encarnación
Íllora
1541 - mid 18th century
Religious Architecture
Late Gothic and Renaissance
The main building was designed by Juan de Maede. The tower was built and designed by Diego de Siloe. The main building is divided into four pillars separating the main body which makes it seem very tall.
Casa López-Font
Íllora
1890 - 1917
Civil Architecture
Neomudejar
It was constructed between 1890 and 1917 in the neomudejar historicist style. It was built by indianos returned from Cuba, the house has wide gardens in romantic style that provide attractive and added value to the residential set. It is divided in two floors, articulated through gardens in French and English style. In the interior a neogothic chapel is conserved.