*...History and Monuments

Santa Fe


In the 1491 they decided to put an end to the campaign and built large huts and trenches in the middle of the fertile plain. The villa served as military camp to the Catholic Kings during the siege of the city.Don Francisco de Bobadilla was named lord, following the villa a slowed history, immersed in the own agricultural tasks of a town from the Fertile plain.in 1806 by a violent earthquake that caused a serious damages to it.

external image Cristo-de-la-salud--Santa-Fe--Granada_52473.jpg
Ermita del Cristo de mi Salud

Santa Fe
Siglo XVIII
Religious Architecture
It was called hermitage of the Gallegos originally, thus denominated because it was built in 1498 by the numerous participants in the conquest of Granada who came from Galicia. After the restoration of the XVIII century, at the moment it is known as hermitage of the Cristo de la Salud, because cult to this image is receive in it, of great local devotion. It is located near the Gate of Granada.


Chauchina


In the XIV century, Ibn al-Jatib, from Loja, already mentions the place, transcribed like Yayyana. There are more documents about a fortress of this district, the Tower of Rome, in which the population had to take refuge at the violent final moments of the Medieval period.
The settlement was consolidated.The Muslims occupied the area between the years 711 and 713 and dried great part of the humid areas next to the river. Chauchina was one of the many farmhouses, with between 500 and 1,000 inhabitants, of the Fertile plain of Granada.

After the Reconquest and the later expulsion of the Moorish the town was almost depopulated. In the XVIII century new neighbours arrived at the settlement to cultivate the linen and the hemp.
The present centre of its urban core was started to be built in the middle of the XIX century already, although it grew quickly thanks to the cultivation of the sugar beet.


external image La-Peana--la-Fuente--el-Mercado-y-la-Iglesia-de-Valle-de-Abdalajis_63397.jpg
La Peana
Chauchina
Civil Architescture
Next to the parochial church calls the attention “the Peana”, fragment of a column extracted of the quarries of Loja destined to the palace of Carlos V of the Alhambra.


Fuente Vaqueros


It probably has an Arab origin; it lived the splendour of the Nasrid dynasty until the Christian conquest in 1492.This land was part of the Royal Site that the Crown reserved for itself after the conquest as hunting and recreational place, with dense forests where a Royal House was constructed, the Soto de Roma.After several problems, in 1813 this property was giving in to the Duke of Wellington as compensation for his service during the war of Independence against the French. Between Romilla and the Genil River the watchtower called Tower of Rome, which always was considered landmark that marked the Southern limit of the Grove can still be contemplated.Until 1940 the town of Fuente Vaqueros belonged to the Duke of Wellington, having its land rented to the settlers and little by little he sold it to them, who populated it and gave way to the present town.

external image Monumento-a-Federico-Garcia-Lorca-en-Alfacar--Granada_52949.jpg


Monumento a Federico García Lorca
Fuente Vaqueros
Civil Architecture
The City council Square is the centre from which the main routes that form the structure of the town centre of Fuente Vaqueros radiate: the Andalucia avenue, to the east; the Genil avenue, that lowers until the river; and the Paseo del Prado, with the monument to Garcia Lorca carved by Cayetano Aníbal, that extends towards the north by the Paseo de la Reina.

Íllora


Plinio mentions it like Ilurco.To the X and XI century, when al-Udri talks about it with the name of Illywra when talking about to the province of Elvira.From the XIII century became one of the main bastions of the Nasrids border, in first line after the fall of Alcala del Real in 1341.Illywra reinforced in those times its appearance of fortified villa with castle, walled enclosure and neighbourhoods, deserving the nickname of "right eye of Granada" by its importance as defensive place.In its new stage, Íllora was one of the Seven Villas that served as barn and pantry of the capital.


external image IglesiaEncarnacionv.jpg

Church of La Encarnación
Íllora
1541 - mid 18th century
Religious Architecture
Late Gothic and Renaissance
The main building was designed by Juan de Maede. The tower was built and designed by Diego de Siloe. The main building is divided into four pillars separating the main body which makes it seem very tall.